Are you an RC pursuing a career in VC? The Rock Venture Partners program enables a small group of HBS students to learn more about investing in startups by supporting Rock Accelerator teams as they go through the process of pitching and starting a venture. The program is run by Jeff Bussgang HBS Senior Lecturer and Flybridge General Partner.
As part of the program, students will:
- Evaluate and Invest: Evaluate and Invest: As part of the investment committee for the Rock Accelerator program, Rock Venture Partners will learn to evaluate teams and allocate a limited set of funds across a myriad of business proposals.
- Advise: By sitting on the boards of Rock Accelerator companies, Rock Venture Partners will begin to understand the complexities of building a business and how a VC's role can help a company succeed.
- Get Access: As members of the Rock Accelerator investment committee and via a widely circulated resume book, students will gain unprecedented access to managing partners at some of the top firms in the U.S. and gain insight into their thinking, philosophy, and upcoming needs.
- Network: Attend meet and greets with prominent VCs around the U.S. through dinners, coffees, or Skype sessions to gain further perspective on being a VC as well as build your VC network connections. Students meet together regularly to discuss their VC projects, the latest industry trends, and VC news.
- Shadow a VC Firm: Get matched with a VC firm based on your interests. Complete a project or deep dive on a sector of interest for the firm and potentially sit in on company pitches and partner meetings.
To be eligible for the RVP program students must be rising ECs with an interest in supporting the Rock Accelerator teams and be pursuing a career in VC . We also look for candidates who have experience in startups, venture investing, or product management; the desire to learn from experienced investors; and the ability to commit to key dates, deliverables, and role requirements for the academic year.
Accepted students can also decide to apply for IP credit with Professor Bussgang.
How to Apply
Applicants for 2017-2018 school year:
- Attend the Information Session. View information session presentation here.
- Download and complete this RVP APPLICATION
- Submit your application before the Application Deadline: Wednesday, March 22, 2017, at 12 noon by emailing it to RockCenter@HBS.edu w/ the subject line: RVP Application: (Your Name). Be sure to include your resume and put your first and last name along with your email in the header of each page.
- Save the Date: April 11, 2017 5-8pm to attend Rock Demo Day if selected